Tribute from a student.of Prof Anand - Nirmalya Sen

Dear Teachers and my fellow scholars,

I convey my deepest condolence on the sad demise of Professor R.P. Anand. Professor Anand's contribution towards developing an Asian and African perspective on international law, and towards building the scholarship of international law in India is in itself a colossal accomplishment. He has been an inspiration for subsequent generations of scholars of international law from a third world perspective. I was very fortunate to have had some opportunity of being taught  by Prof. Anand. As I reflect on the news of his demise, I feel that one of the most subtle attributes behind the greatness of Prof. Anand was that he always considered himself to be a keen student of international law. He would invariably be present in almost every Friday seminar in spite of the difficulty it would have perceivably caused him to attend the same in the last few years. Indeed, he had a deep passion and urge to know more about international law and contemporary issues related to international law. Such passion and commitment is worthy of the highest salutation.

I join the fraternity of the Centre for International Legal Studies and the larger JNU community in paying a rich tribute to Prof. Anand. In this regard, I wish to make a humble suggestion to institute an annual academic event appropriate to honour Prof. Anand (e.g., a memorial lecture series).

Yours Sincerely
Nirmalya Syam

No comments:

Post a Comment